Monday, February 14, 2011

"Learn to Fly" Lyrics Explained


I wrote a song a while ago about Clark and Lois, but it’s really a lot about Clark and Lana too. I just now made it public. It’s a vague enough song that it could apply to a lot of people, but I thought it would be best if I explained my lyrics in more detail. Keep in mind that I was once a Clana supporter. I really was.

First Verse:
“I watched you from afar and I loved you without one word spoken. I gave you all of me.
You were my angel, but I didn't know you'd fallen from grace. But I was too blind to see our perfect love was all just a fantasy.”

Clark did admire Lana from afar and he really loved her without ever having a close and personal relationship with her. He would watch her from his telescope and he dreamed that he was hovering over her and watching her. He was even floating! Lana was a sweet and nice girl once he got to know her, but she changed as the seasons progressed. She was possessed by a witch, turned into a vampire and tried to turn Clark, killed a couple of people along the way, was addicted to drugs at one point, lied to a lot of people, manipulated a lot of people, joined up with Lex, married him, kidnaped Lionel, faked her death, framed Lex for her murder, and then tried to kill him. It’s clear that the sweet girl she once was got lost somewhere.

Course:
“How can I learn to fly when you're holding me down? How can I learn to run when I can't catch my breath? Thought that I was strong, but you're crippling me. How can I save a life when you're not saving me?”

Someone told me that they disagreed with me and said that Lana didn’t hinder Clark and even brought up him floating in the very first season. I don’t think she purposely ever tried to hinder him. As I remember past seasons, I recall a lot of Lana moping, especially when she was with Lex. Clark didn’t really move on to being “The Blur” until after Lana had gone. Even Lana questioned in season seven if she was worthy of Clark or if she was holding him back. She had more foresight on the situation than Clark did.

And then Smallville IS NOT the only means I know Lana Lang by. I know her from comic books as well. Even in “Lois & Clark” in the alternate dimension, Clark was with Lana and he hadn’t become Superman. As Mrs. Kent told Lois in “Beacon”, she inspires him. He did truly love Lana and I really enjoyed them for a time, but Lois is the one who truly pushes him forward into being a hero. I think with Lana, he was still clinging onto that desire of normalcy. With Lois, he can be Superman.

Second Verse:
“We had our golden years, but you were poison killing me slowly, cuz I held on too tight. I was choking all I had left of you. Still I was too blind to see our innocense lived only in memories.”

These lyrics were very literal. Lana literally became kryptonite, so she was posion. I remember the scene when she was about to leave and he kept stepping closer to her and he was sick and he kissed her, even though she was hurting him and she was crying. She had to be the one to walk away. He couldn’t let her go.

They had some great, sweet years together in the beginning (golden years). But in “Power” Clark told Lana that he realized that she had changed, but he had to accept that it was his fault because of the lies he had to tell over the years. Lana didn’t think that was right and I agree with her, but for someone who can see miles and miles away he sure had narrow vision when it came to Lana.

The course repeats

Bridge:
“Everything has a time. Everything has a season. Everything has a place. God does it all for a reason, you see. (Yeah.) I've lived and I have learned. The world keeps on turning. Sun rises and falls. Heart aches but it's still beating. Can you read between the lines? I think it's time to find...”

I believe that there’s a purpose and a reason for everything in this world. Clark had his time with Lana, now it’s his time for someone else. Even the writers said that when Clark and Lois went into their relationship they would be able to handle some bumps more maturely than what they might have been able to in the past. You learn from your past. Even Lois was really careful with Clark because he was the one that she “wanted to get it right with.”

When Lana left in season 7, he was pretty heart broken for a while. I remember it was near the end of one episode though that he looked at a picture of her in his wallet, smiled, then put it in the photo album. It showed he was beginning to move on. It hearts when someone breaks your heart, but you move on. In season 8 after Lana left and Lois came back, things progressed super fast for the couple. He’s always going to have a special place in his heart for Lana, but it’s time to move on and he has.

Second Course:
“Someone to help me fly, by lifting me up. Someone to help me run, by giving me breath. I know that I am strong, cuz you're giving me strength. I can save a life, cuz you saved me.”

As Smallville begins to close out, Lois is really making it known that she wants to help Clark and she does. She’s there for him and she does inspire him. And remember, Smallville IS NOT my only introduction to Lois. I knew her from comic books long before, and I know how much impact she really has on Superman’s life. Lois saying “I believe in you,” is enough to save the universe and that is absolutely no exaggeration. In “Lazarus”, Lois did literally save Clark’s life by pulling that dagger out of his chest so he could heal, so that’s a literal lyric too. It’s more than that though. They both have made each other better people.

“As time goes on we'll see we were always destiny.”

Clark has been to the future and it’s awesome. Plus they’ve been together since the 1930's. You can’t beat those numbers. They’re a power couple, here to stay.

1 comment:

  1. I know that this was 2011, but I just heard the song tonight, and it was very beautiful, and I love your explaination of the lyrics, which was pretty much what I thought they'd mean for the most part, so you did well at expressing yourself.

    ReplyDelete